An Overview Of Rehabilitation, Expansion And Upgrade Of Gombe Regional Water Supply Project Flagged Off By Gov. Inuwa Yahaya2 min read
On the 6th of January, 2023, Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya, alongside Hon. Minister of Water Resources, Engr. Sulaiman H. Adamu formally flagged off a multi-billion Naira water project in a bid to end the age-long water supply challenges in Gombe Metropolis and its environs.
The project commenced with the signing of memorandum of understanding between the Gombe State Government and the Federal Ministry of Water Resources in August 2021.
The physical implementation of the project commenced with the award of the contract in May 2022 to Jidadu Ventures Nigeria Limited at a total contract sum of 11.492 billion naira and engineering consultancy services to Messrs Global Ecological Consultant, Nigeria Limited at a total contract of 419.2 million Naira.
Under the arrangement, Gombe is funding 70 percent of the total financial cost of the contract, amounting to N8.045 billion while the Federal Government is contributing 30 percent which is N3.447 billion.
The works to be executed under the contract are categorized into three:
The first category is: Construction of New Booster Stations
– Construction of three booster stations at Tumfure, NTA, and Special Development Zone Communities
– Construction of 1000 cubic meter (1 million liter) capacity braithwaite surface tank
– Construction of 500 cubic meter (500,000 cubic litre capacity) elevated water tank on twelve meter towers
– Supply and installation of Hybrid solar powered pumps
-Construction of Ancillary works which include: admin block, generator house, pump house, security post and perimeter fence
-Construction of another elevated water tank of 500 cubic meter (500,000 cubic litre capacity) on twelve meter towers at Gombe International Conference Center, ICC along Bauchi Road.
The 2nd category; Tabra water scheme
-Construction of three solar-powered boreholes;
-Construction of 200 cubic meter (200,000 cubic litre capacity) braithwaite surface tank;
– construction of 100 cubic meter (100,000 cubic litre capacity) elevated water tank on twelve meter tower station
– Supply and installation of package treatment plants and
– Construction of ancillary buildings which include: admin block, pump house security post and perimeter fencing to safeguard the facility.
The 3rd category; Wuro Juli Water Scheme
The project involves:
– Conversion of 6 existing boreholes from generator based to solar-powered based
– Construction of additional 6 solar powered boreholes
– Supply and installation of package treatment plant
– Supply and installation of high leap pumps, rehabilitation of existing ancillary buildings
– Construction of perimeter fencing and security post to safeguard the investment
– Rehabilitation and replacement of the overhead tank at Women’s Center.
-Construction of 160 kilometre pipeline of between 75 to 200 millimetres in diameter of High Density Polyethylene, HDPE Pipes for distribution network.
– Replacement of valves and installation of meters.
The project is packaged to include a sustainability aspect where there will be technical support and capacity building for Gombe State Ministry of Water Resources and Gombe State Water Board to be able to operate and maintain these systems once they are completed.
Work has already reached significant level of completion at many sites of the project. In view of that, Governor Inuwa pledged to complete the project before the end of May, 2023.