FG Extends National Identification Number/SIM Registration Period
The Federal Government has extended Registration Period for National Identification Number and cancelled USSD and Verification Fees.
This was resolved at the end the National Task Force on National Identification Number and SIM Registration Meeting held on Monday, 21st December, 2020.
The meeting was chaired by the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Pantami with major stakeholders in the sector including Chairman-NCC, EVC-NCC, DG-NITDA, DG-NIMC, ECTS/ECSM-NCC, Chairman ALTON, CEOs of MTN, Airtel, Ntel, Glo, Smile, and 9Moble in attendance.
The meeting resolved that based on the endorsement of the Federal Government of Nigeria, the following resolutions were made:
1. Three weeks extension for subscribers with NIN from 30th December, 2020 to 19th January, 2021.
2. Six weeks extension for subscribers without NIN from 30th December, 2020 to 9th February, 2021.
3. NIMC has provided strategies to enable citizens attend the registration in full compliance with Covid-19 protocols – particularly the use of facemasks which remains mandatory and maintenance of social distancing.
4. The President appreciates Nigerians for their patience and commitment to update their Identities; The Federal Government also thanked all stakeholders for their compliance with the directives.
5. Mr. President has also commended the efforts of the Task Force and urges all stakeholders to take advantage of the extension to link their SIM card with their NIN.
6. USSD and verification charges remain suspended during these extensions.