FIRS Extends The Due Date For Filing VAT Returns
The Federal Inland Revenue Service has extended the due date for filing value-added tax returns from May 21, 2023, to May 31, 2023.
According to a public notice signed by the Executive Chairman of FIRS, Muhammad Nami, the Service received several appeals for the extension of the due date for VAT returns due on May 21, 2023, on account of the new VAT module on TaxPro Max.
The statement read, “Consequently, taxpayers, tax practitioners, and the general public are hereby invited to take notice that:
1. The due date for VAT returns originally due on May 21, 2023, is hereby extended to May 31, 2023.
2. Consequent upon the extension, penalties and interest shall only apply where relevant VAT returns were not filed by the extended date of May 31, 2023.
3. Relevant fields on TaxPro for input tax on domestic purchases, input tax on imports, and VAT withheld have been enabled to allow taxpayers to make their respective claims.
4. The extension of the filing due date is only for the VAT returns, which were due on May 21, 2023, and does not include any other tax return.
5. Relevant taxpayers must comply with the new filing due date in order to avoid the imposition of penalties and interest.
6. The service will no longer extend the due date for filing VAT returns on account of the new TaxPro VAT module.