Police React To Reports Of 200 Abuja Residents Purportedly Abducted

The FCT Police Command has responded to reports suggesting that over 200 residents had been abducted by gunmen in Abuja between December 23rd, 2023, and January 4th, 2024.

A statement on Wednesday, January 10, 2024, signed by the FCT Police Public Relations Officer, SP Josephine Adeh, said that the Command acknowledged that there were instances of abduction in the mentioned communities, but the figures have been exaggerated to create fear and anxiety in the nation’s capital.

The command spokesperson confirmed that there were pockets of abductions in the Bwari and Kuje Area Councils but emphasised that the Commissioner of Police for the FCT, CP Haruna G. Garba, has been actively working to enhance the security of residents and prevent further abductions.

“This included a recent visit to communities in Bwari, engagement with community leaders, and the deployment of additional police personnel and armoured vehicles, Adeh said.

The statement read partially, “While the specifics of the security measures were not disclosed to maintain their effectiveness, the Commissioner urged citizens to refrain from sharing potentially misleading or mischievous posts. The statement reiterated the commitment to eliminating all forms of criminality in the FCT.

“The response from the FCT Police Command aims to address the concerns surrounding the alleged abductions and reassure the public about the efforts being made to ensure the safety and security of residents in the region.